Saturday, September 06, 2008

I've Had My Drive Now

I was just reading The Wishful Writer's blog, and the most recent post made me laugh. Because it was a funny story, but also because the way she tells it brings home how alien our experiences can be.

Heather (the Wishful Writer) was amazed by her driving 'lesson' - but to me that was part of growing up. I still remember my Dad sitting me on his knee and letting me steer. I first started driving by myself when I was about 8. I wasn't very good. In fact I think I'm why Dad finally got rid of 'The Suzi.' Damn I loved that old paddock basher.

I think my slalom style of driving in and out the hay bales may have scared Dad. Damn it was worth it though, even if I was banned from driving for a year.

I've never seen my big macho cousin look so pasty. Well, except for the snake incident. Oh, and that time with the spider. Actually, now that I think about it he really was just a big girl. *waves*

Or it could have been baby bro's first drive that did it. I was 11 and Brad was 9. We were both driving, and Alastair (the 3 year old 'baby') was pestering Dad to let him drive too. Poor boy, it wasn't fair. One day at morning smoko Dad hears a vehicle start up. Then stop. He stands to go see what's up, when in walks Alastair, pleased as punch, "I've had my drive now."

Mum and Dad exchange fear filled glances. Nearly falling over each other they rush outside to see the damage. Thankfully not much. But Dad did stop leaving the keys in the ignition.

These are my growing up stories. It takes someone from outside looking in to make me realise how very rural I am. It was like the time I lived in Japan. The thing that really brought home that I was in another country wasn't the different language, foods, or faces. It was a simple thing that happened during one of my large group lessons.

The couldn't get their heads around lunch boxes. I mean lunch boxes? I took my lunch in one to school everyday. But they found them exotic, eating sandwiches everyday was weird. They asked questions in the same way our kids might ask "they eat with sticks? That's when I realised how different our experiences were.

Thanks Heather for reminding me of those stories.

PS Remind me to tell you about the snake incident some time.

EDIT: I've just worked out why this tastes familiar. Remember poptarts?

No comments: